Valve Rocker Arm Cover Cleaning and Inspection
- Do not use the valve rocker arm cover gasket again. Install a NEW gasket
- Remove the ignition coils from the bracket before cleaning the bracket
in solvent. Do not submerge the ignition coils in solvent.
- Do not remove the oil fill tube from the cover unless service is
- If the oil fill tube has been removed from the rocker arm cover, install
a NEW tube during assembly.
- Remove the ignition coil and bracket assembly and bolts from the
rocker cover, if required.
- Remove the ignition coils and bolts from the bracket, if required.
- Inspect the tube for a loose fit or damage.
- Remove the oil fill cap and tube from the right cover, if required.
- Remove the gaskets (504) from the covers.
- Remove the cover mounting bolts, with grommets. Cover mounting
bolts and grommets that are not damaged may be used again during assembly.
- Clean the covers and coil brackets in solvent.
Wear safety glasses in order to avoid eye damage.
- Dry the components with compressed air.
- Inspect the ventilation system passages for restrictions.
- Inspect the gasket grooves for damage.
- Inspect the coil bracket threaded bolt holes for damaged threads or
- Inspect the coil mounting brackets for cracking, stripped bolt hole
threads, or other damage.
- Inspect the ignition coils for exterior damage and bent or broken